Learn How We Can Help You Keep Teleworkers Protected During the COVID-19 Crisis

DNS DHCP IPAM

Highlighted

Microsoft Migration to Infoblox

Techie
10288     1

So am wondering if any one has any thoughts 

Just Migrated from Microsoft 2008 to Infoblox , and the team that looks after did not want to remove zones from Microsoft in case of any issues during the following week

So the Solution was to import data into infoblox , 

Install Bind for windows on AD configured with forwarders

Stop AD DNS service and start Bind 

all looks good 

Would any one do things different , any tips or gotya's

Highlighted

Hi Mark,

Guru
10288     1

Hi Mark,

Wanted to follow up and see how things are going with your recent move.  I'm the new community manager here, and also wanted you to know we're working to get "notifications" fixed - right now people aren't getting alerted to updates to their threads (so the likelyhood that you'll receive this is minimal).  Please reach out to me if you have any questions.

Best,

Eric

Highlighted

Hi Mark,

Guru
10288     1

Hi Mark,

Wanted to follow up and see how things are going with your recent move.  I'm the new community manager here, and also wanted you to know we're working to get "notifications" fixed - right now people aren't getting alerted to updates to their threads (so the likelyhood that you'll receive this is minimal).  Please reach out to me if you have any questions.

Best,

Eric

Highlighted

Is AD DNS migration to InfoBlox as easy as it seems?

Techie
10288     1

Is this migration as easy as it seems-- or am I missing something that needs to be done? We need to move the DNS off the AD to the InfoBlox.   This is what we did.

1. In DNS removed the forwading zone for this domain (it was forwarding the the AD boxes).
  2. Defined a new authorative zone for this domain. In the setting tabs:
    1. Updates: added a set of ACEs of the IP's of the domain controllers to allow them to update this zone.
    2. Active Directory: Checked "Allow unsigned updates from these DC's, Listed the IP's of the DCs, Checked "Automaticaly create underscore zones".

This created empty zone for this domain along with empty subdomain zones for the underscore zones.  

Then on the DC they:

1. Set it to point to the InfoBlox IP's for DNS services.
  2. Stopped and restarted the NetLogon service.  

This populated the zones with records, including the service records.

I then imported the static records for DNS -- A records, CNAMES, AAAA.

The DC support team is now running through to verify that everything is there as it should be.  It seems to be there.. Is it that easy?

They will then either turn off their DNS service (which is still running in parallel - and authoratitive but not getting DC updates since they are going to the InfoBlox now) or they will change it to forward this domain to the InfoBlox.

Thanks for any feedback.. The above test was done on our test domain.. We need to do this live in the next week.

Highlighted

Active Directory host name not written in DNS

Techie
10288     1

We created an AD integrated zone, migrated our data from our Microsoft DNS servers and shutdown DNS on our microsoft boxes. Things are going well except I'm running into an issue creating new DNS records automatically in my AD zone. 

Is there a best practice on how to bring a new server online and have it write to the AD zone? Traditionally we'll create a reservation in Infoblox and add all the TCP/IP addresses manually on the client. When we do this, the host recoed doesn't get created in teh AD zone and we end up having to make the entries manually.

Should I be creating a fixed IP in Infoblox? Does DDNS have to be configured to write to my AD zone? Are there any tricks to setting up the client regarding DNS suffixes etc?

Thanks,

Pete

Highlighted

Hi Eric...

Techie
10288     1
There are several questions in the "Microsoft Migration to Infoblox" that remain unanswered. I also have pretty much the same questions to ask and I did not want to reinvent the wheel. If you would, please chime in.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Recommended for You