Accepted Solution

Network Insight and Ports

Authority
3766     0

NetMRI has functionality that shows the actual ports open on a given interface.  Presumably these ports are discovered via a port scan.

Network Insight allows for a list of ports to scan, but I do not see any of the output/results other than the possibility that the open ports are used for footprinting the host.

Is it possible to see the list os ports open on a given interface via Network Insight?

Re: Network Insight and Ports

Adviser
3766     0
Not sure on your actual question, but FYI, the list of open ports comes from what the device reports in TCP/UDP, unless you have explicitly enabled port scanning, in which case it comes from both.

Adviser
3766     0
TCP/UDP MIB I mean (a standard SNMP MIB)

Authority
3766     0

The actual question is this:

How do I see the output of a port scan of a device in Network Insight.

The output should be similar to that which is easily accessible via NetMRI, Nessus, nmap, MIB,etc.

My gut feeling is that it is not possible in Network Insight, and that the port scanning is only used internally to assist in fingerprinting devices that are discovered, and that this functionality is in need of improvement.

Moderator Dave_Signori
3766     0

They're stored in the Open Port(s) field for the IP Address object.  You can see it in the Discovered Data or in the list of IPs under Data Management -> IPAM if you have the Open Ports column displayed.  For instance, from the list of device records (Data Management -> Devices) click on the wheel next to a device and select Show IPAM IP Address.  Then look in the Discovered Data.  Another way when looking at a list of IP addresses under Data Management -> IPAM is to select a column (down arrow) -> Columns -> Edit Columns and enable the Open Ports field.  If you have the reporting appliance there is an out of the box Dashboard called IP Address Inventory.  That may be able to be modified (or copied and customized) to include that field also.

Dave

@DaveSignori
Highlighted

Authority
3766     0

OK, the Data Management -> IPAM path seemed to get me there.  Thanks!

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Recommended for You