Highlighted

restart dhcp service

FLuo
Techie
12046     0

Have not touch infoblox for several years - is it still necessary to restart dhcp service after converting a lease to a fixed address? it looks like it is necessary any more but want to make sure

THanks

Frank

That's a really good question

JKretschmer
Techie
12047     0
That's a really good question. I'm very interested in the answer too. If I can figure out a good test I'll respond with my results.

The GUI will tell you

CAnazodo
Techie
12047     0

Most DHCP-related functions require a restart of services. If a change requires a restart of services, a blue banner will appear up on top informing you that you need to restart. The default restart setting is to restart the service only on the necessary members sequentially so a restart won't disrupt services (if your members are a HA-pair). You also have the option to view which members' DHCP service will be restarted. Hope this helps.

Re: restart dhcp service

[ Edited ]
TPersson
Techie
12047     0

I find it really odd that you need to restart a service for the new data be active but
I dont mind the restart but how do i delegate lmited permissions to a helpdesk so they can make fixed ip address and restart the servicees without having to call me each time they make an reservtion.
i am using the newest nios version.. 7.2.2

Regards
Terje Persson | Technical University of Denmark

Expert
12047     0

Hi, this is an old thread but still relevant.

Whether a service needs restarting or not normally depends on whether the configuration file needs to be changed and "re-read" by the service. The OP wanted to convert a lease to a fixed address, this means that a host declaration statement needs to be added to the dhcpd.conf file - because of this the file needs to "re-read", so a service restart is required.

Now there are certain things that can be done dynamically in ISC DHCP via OMAPI which do not require a restart, and I am sure I read somewhere that there are things that Infoblox might do with this, but my knowledge in this area is a little fuzzy, however as someone else said, the GUI will warn you if a restart is required.

Now you can delegate restart permissions to a subordinate administrator, it's something I have done myself, so it means you don't have to have DHCP admins constantly asking you to restart the service.

When you are configuring the permissions, search for the DHCP member(s) you want to give rights to, in the object selector set the type field to "Member DHCP Properties", when you find the object and click on it, you will see there is only one resource available, and that is "Restart Services" - you can either give the admin Read/Write or Deny permission.

If you give them Read/Write permissiom, when the admin adds a fixed address, range or whatever, they will have the ability to restart the DHCP service on the members you gave them access to.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Paul

Paul Roberts
PCN (UK) Ltd

All opinions expressed are my own and not representative of PCN Inc./PCN (UK) Ltd. E&OE

Adviser
12047     0

An additional feature was introduced in 7.0 that is relevant to this discussion as well.

From the 7.0 NIOS release notes:

Configuring Fixed Addresses without Restarting DHCP Service

When you configure or modify a fixed address, a DHCP service restart is required by default in order for the new configuration to take effect. You can now override this default behavior by enabling the appliance to take immediate action without restarting DHCP service when you configure or modify a fixed address that is outside a DHCP range. You can enable this feature at the Grid or member level. For Cloud Network Automation deployment, this feature is automatically enabled on the Cloud Platform Appliance that has a valid Cloud Platform license installed.

Check out our new Tech docs website at http://docs.infobox.com for latest documentation on Infoblox products

timtclark
Techie
12047     0

How do I set this option?

Adviser
12047     0

The option to enable immediate fixed address configuration changes can be set at either the Grid DHCP properties or the Member DHCP properties.

For example, edit the Grid DHCP Properties and select the 'Advanced' tab under the 'General' tab.

Here you will find the option under 'Immediate FA Configuration'.

grid_dhcp_props.png

Check out our new Tech docs website at http://docs.infobox.com for latest documentation on Infoblox products

Expert
12047     0

Does this work for fixed hosts too? i.e host objects that have a MAC address and the "DHCP" option checked?

I tend to use fixed hosts rather than fixed addresses.

Paul Roberts
PCN (UK) Ltd

All opinions expressed are my own and not representative of PCN Inc./PCN (UK) Ltd. E&OE

Adviser
12047     0

Hi Paul,

Yes, hosts with the DHCP option enabled will also not require a services restart.

Expert
12047     0

Good stuff, I am working on a project at the moment with a lot of fixed hosts so will ask the customer if they are interested in enabling this feature.

Paul Roberts
PCN (UK) Ltd

[ Edited ]
Guru
12047     0

Yeah...well it does'nt require a restart, but it does'nt work either. The PC does not get the fixed address until a restart has been performed Smiley Sad

/JanV -Denmark

Adviser
12047     0

Is your fixed address assignment within an existing range our outside of an existing range? The documentation states the restart is not required for new allocations and modifications to address outside of existing ranges so perhaps that is the issue. If not, you may be running into a defect and would be worthwhile to contact Support.

permissions required to ssh into an appliance

fbarbosa
Techie
12047     0

permissions required to ssh into an appliance

option 43

fbarbosa
Techie
12047     0
option 43
Showing results for 
Search instead for