Network Change & Configuration Management

How to Deal with Device Administrative IP Changes.

Authority
2523     0

Hi,

Is there any elegant way to deal with a network device changes its administrative IP?  What I am trying to say is that it is very common for certain network devices to change its administrative IP.

Ideally, we like the new administrative IP to keep the old configurations from the previous administrative IP.  The old configuration is literally the same except for administrative IP, so it makes sense to have it archived under new administrative IP. 

I understand that this may not be right thing to do, however we just wondering if Infoblox has a reccommended way to solve this problem.

Also, we use STATIC discovery range.

Thanks,
Nick

The best way to proceed:

MGriffin
Techie
2524     0

The best way to proceed:

Apply the new IP to the Network Device, while the previous IP is still applied and Network Automation is still managing the device by the previous IP.

Once the new IP is applied, via the Device Viewer, change the "Management" IP to the new IP.  There will be a drop-down menu in the general settings page within the Device Viewer window to change the management IP of the device.

Once the Network Device is managed by the new IP applied, then the previous IP can be safely removed from the Network Device, and Network Automation will continue to manage the device by the new IP applied, which keeps the device history intact.

If the new IP is applied, and previous IP removed, to the Network Device, a new device record will be created for the new IP upon discovery of the new device IP, and the device history lost; as Network Automation manages via device IP, and a new device object record will be created for a new IP discovered, even if the device was previously known with a different IP.

Thanks Mike!

Authority
2524     0

This is what we are looking for.  However, I don't see a drop-down option under gerneral setting (under Setting & Status) in Device Viewer.  I do see a drop-down option to change device type.

Also, by changing the administrative IP.  Do we still need to add new administrative IP in our Discovery STATIC list?  And should that apply before or after the change.

Thanks,

Nick

Nick,

MGriffin
Techie
2524     0

Nick,

The new IP will need to be added the Discovery List prior to the IP being discoverable, or manageable.

That is also why you're not seeing it in the list, if it's currently on the device, but not in an included discovery range.

Still Not Working...

Authority
2524     0

Hi Mike,

Sorry, I guess I am still not doing this right.

We have a switch with new IP 10.245.199.97 and its old IP address is 10.2455.199.142.  Both IPs are online and in discovery static list.

However, we still don't see a drop down under "General Setting", I have attached a screenshot showing both Device Viewer.

Thanks,
Nick

Nick,

MGriffin
Techie
2524     0

Nick,

This could potentially be because of the way that the IPs are put into discovery, via STATIC entries; typically, inputting more than one STATIC discovery entry for more than a single device should be avoided completely, as this will produce undesired results.

In order for the "Management Address" option to appear, the drop-down should appear between the "Name" and "Type" fields under the "Modify Device Settings" heading, the discoverable IP's must be within the device's polled "ipAddrTable" (ipAddressTable) entries.

If you SNMP walk the "ipAddrTable" OID against the device, you should see both of these IPs in the output, and both IPs are included in the NetMRI's Discovery Ranges, and that is the match that must occur in order for the "Management Address" drop-down to appear; when more than a single IP output in the network device's ipAddrTable is covered by the NetMRI's Discovery Ranges.

A Discovery Diagnostic will also show the device's ipAddrTable entries; there is a "ipAddrTable" subsection in the output.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Recommended for You