Security

Highlighted

RFE (Request for Enhancement) Discussion

[ Edited ]
Expert
11618     1

I would like to start a discussion of RFE’s my team and other users may have open and get some visibly and interest into what other users want out of the product.
I have many more than this list open, but these are the big ones.  I’m going to start a separate one just for the Trinzic reporting  tool.

RFE-1884 - Schedule addition of a record which we already scheduled to remove.  
The built in scheduler is useless for the majority of our changes because it does not look at the schedule to figure out if it can make this change at the time given. And there is no override for the warning it gives becasue of this.   IE we are consolidating servers, so a very common change for us is to remove a host or A record and replace it with a CNAME.  This cannot be done with the built in scheduler because even if we schedule the delete, we cannot schedule the addition of the CNAME with the same name as the A record we just removed because the scheduler sees it as a duplicate.  

RFE-1661 a DNS request that I can send to an Infoblox appliance that will return the 'real' name of the DNS appliance to help troubleshoot anycast.  This is very easy to implement in Bind because you can simply create the same master zone on each server.  The only record in this zone some kind of a A \  CNAME \ TXT record that replies with the name of the device.  This is very difficult to do in Infoblox as it protects you from creating this kind of “bad” mulit-version DNS zone.   Many TLD’s have this setup for their zones for troubleshooting their anycast.     Fixed in 7.3.x

RFE-1989  Accept GSS-TSIG signed updates from Microsoft DHCP servers.  This is actually a bug in Microsoft’s DHCP server.  The do not correctly rotate TSIG keys when needed.    Microsoft accepted this as a bug in 2009 on 2003 and 2008 DHCP servers but has done nothing.   ISC Bind put in code to work around this issue in Bind 9.8.x in 2012 which takes care of the issue.   I have not gotten anywhere with Infoblox on getting a time line on when they might include this 9.8 work around code in an Infoblox release.   It appears the code for this was added somewhere in the 6.5.x and or Microsoft fixed the issue.   edit 4-2-2013

RFE-2543  Create an extensible  attribute of type “date” with a default value of “today”.  I am looking for a time stamp feature.  You can set a date type on an extensible attribute of date but there is no default value of “now”.  I wrote a script to update the default value to “today”, once a day, but it seemed a silly thing to write a script for.  I can’t be the only one that wants a time stamp feature.

RFE-1900  Allow NTP to bind to an anycast address separate from DNS.   Right now the only way to get NTP to bind to an anycast address is to start the DNS service on the appliance.   This does not allow for a dedicated NTP anycast appliance without the overhead of starting the DNS service.

RFE-1737  Test Grid manager to candidate fail over without completing a fail over.  I am mainly looking at this to test firewall rules.  As the grid grows, the number of members on other sides of firewalls also grows.  A simple push button, test communication between all members and all candidates to test these firewall rules would be very helpful.

Re: RFE (Request for

ARoberts
Techie
11619     1

RFE-1661 = The standard is supposed to be that if you send a CH TXT record query to a device for the "HOSTNAME.BIND." you should get the hostname of the device back. I've also requested this feature.

I'm bumping this back to the

[ Edited ]
Expert
11619     1

I'm bumping this back to the front and adding our current list of RFE's.   I was wondering if others are having the same issue with RFE's as we are.   It seems like they are not getting addressed. Our list just seems to grow.  In fact the one crossed off above was actually fixed by Microsoft, not Infolox.  This means in 4 years, not a single of our RFE’s have been addressed. 

RFE-3431    Manage DHCP scopes defined in CISCO routers
RFE-1737    Grid Master Candidate communication testing
RFE-4981    support 'RPZ-CLIENT-IP' available in BIND-9.10 release
RFE-2915    Need to be able to view syncing NTP clients
RFE-4052    Configure DNS forwarding per member despite being below a delegated zone simular to BIND
RFE-3370    Modify the inherit\override DHCP lease time option at the network level via the API

RFE-1671  Create seperate ACL's for SSH access vs  HTTP\ HTTPS access to the grid.

RFE-5816  Enhance the ACE functionality for GUI by adding a 'DENY' option to match how it is documented in the Admin Guide.

RFE-3337    Request to change the existing behavior where dhcp Threshold notifications are resent every time dhcpd is restarted.
RFE-2961    Ability to not send DHCP Threshold notifications/ trap every time dhcpd is restarted.
(yes these 2 are pretty much the same)

RFE-4612    RPZ/BIND option "qname-wait-recurse"
RFE-5038    Basic Information on why a DNS lookup was blocked via RPZ feed
RFE-4862    Request for manually adding ip address to ‘infoblox-deny-rpz’

Reporter:
RFE-3512    Feature in reporting device where reports are build using the Extensible Attributes as Filters
RFE-3399    Feature in reporting device which provides report on more members in a single report  implemented in 6.11
RFE-5191    Ability to modify configuration changes to the reporting configuration on the grid members via the API.
RFE-3513    Feature in reporting device where DHCP reports are produced in messages per second as well as messages per minutes.
RFE-3400    Feature to be enabled in the reporting tool which will execute a task when it sees a predetermined alert
RFE-3397    Feature in reporting device where the report graphs are more granular
RFE-3634    New CLI command to reset the reporter so that it will do its initial full backup again instead of the incremental backups.

RFE-5283  RPZ reports summarize by time selected by the administrator in the reporting tool instead of always summarizing in 10 minute intervals

Does your sales team know

11619     1

Does your sales team know about the list? I was told if you account team doesn't avocate for you, nothing will get done.

Personally we are new users to DDI, so I have only submited one RFE:

Suppress the license expiry message RFE-5302

Does your sales team know

11619     1

Does your sales team know about the list? I was told if you account team doesn't avocate for you, nothing will get done.

Personally we are new users to DDI, so I have only submited one RFE:

Yes, our sales and technical

Expert
11619     1

Yes, our sales and technical support contacts have been very aware of our RFE's and our specific use case(s) related to them.

DHCP Scope alerts

ARoberts
Techie
11619     1

---_---_--- Snip ---_---_---

RFE-3337    Request to change the existing behavior where dhcp Threshold notifications are resent every time dhcpd is restarted.
RFE-2961    Ability to not send DHCP Threshold notifications/ trap every time dhcpd is restarted.
(yes these 2 are pretty much the same)

---_---_--- End Snip ---_---_---

I would also like to see them turn off alerting automatically if the scope is made entirely of Manual DHCP objects (this scope is always 100% full even if the clients have never requested an address). 

We have a similar RFE as RFE

NdeLeeuw
Techie
11619     1

We have a similar RFE as RFE-1884

And we have a RFE about reporting to customize reports

We have solved this issue by

Expert
11619     1

We have solved this issue by using the ibgraph, bloxtools plug-in and writing our own alerting code.   The stats for each pool\network are available via SNMP and are pulled using ibgraph.  With some minimal code the Round Robin Databases generated by ib-graph can be scanned and alerted on \ ignored as needed.   This also gives you the flexibility to alert on a /28 differently than a /20. 

I'm happy to share that code if your interested. 

Edited the origional comments

Expert
11619     1

Edited the origional comments to add:

RFE-1671 Create seperate ACL's for SSH access vs  HTTP\ HTTPS access to the grid.

By the low RFE # I'm guessing that one is several years old and we were not the first to ask for it.

RFE-3399    Feature in

Expert
11619     1

RFE-3399    Feature in reporting device which provides report on more members in a single report

6.11 got most of the ability to add in more members on the reports.   Enough that I'm willing to cross it off.  There are still a few things that are defaulted to a number that I feel is to small but for the most part, its taken care of.

One down!

They also added the ability to direclty export the reports to PDF.   I somehow didn't have that listed above but its a feature we had asked for in our first week with the reporting member.

So I guess 2 down.

RFE-3512    Feature in reporting device where reports are build using the Extensible Attributes as Filters

They have started to implement this one.   There are some EA's now availbe but they are pretty limited on which objects you can use them on.  There are many reports that we would like to run using the Site EA on our networks but that type of usage of EA's has not yet been enabled.

Dave,

Guru
11619     1

Dave,

Thank you for providing this list!  I'd like to mention the community, until recent, had no advocate.  I started a few weeks ago and will be championing the site moving forward.  There are many, many things that need to be updated, including notifications (which currently don't work, so I'll be emailing you...) but am "all-ears" for your thoughts, suggestions and questions regarding the community.

Eric

Added:

Expert
11619     1

Added:

RFE-5816  Enhance the ACE functionality for GUI by adding a 'DENY' option to match how it is documented in the Admin Guide.

I have had a support ticket open for this for 1 year.   I had been promised that this would be "fixed" in no less than 3 different NIOS versions.  I was also promised a hotfix would be written at one point.   However, after 1 year, it has now been moved to a RFE.

Re: Does your sales team know

Expert
11619     1

@scalland wrote:

If this relates to maintenance license warnings, you do realise you can delete these licenses with no adverse effects? I believe the idea is to warn you when your annual maintenance is due for renewal so you'll need to put a reminder in your calendar if you delete them.

Paul Roberts
PCN (UK) Ltd

All opinions expressed are my own and not representative of PCN Inc./PCN (UK) Ltd. E&OE

Re: Does your sales team know

Expert
11619     1

Edited the RFE's, striking though the ones that have been addressed.   With the updates to the reporter in 7.3 and 7.3.200 most of the reporter requests are no longer relevant.

The one we are currently pushing on is:

RFE-1884 - Schedule addition of a record which we already scheduled to remove.  

The built in scheduler is useless for the majority of our changes because it does not look at the schedule to figure out if it can make this change at the time given. And there is no override for the warning it gives because of this. IE we are consolidating servers, so a very common change for us is to remove a host or A record and replace it with a CNAME. This cannot be done with the built in scheduler because even if we schedule the delete, we cannot schedule the addition of the CNAME with the same name as the A record we just removed because the scheduler sees it as a duplicate.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Recommended for You