Highlighted

VMware vRO Infoblox IPAM Plugin 4.0.1 vs 3.1.0 and how remove/release host record is done? (WAPI)

ukusic
Techie
4621     0

Hi,

Bear with me, im the vmware admin and infoblox is run by another team at our work.
Im here in the hopes on some clarification and maybe reach out to the vRO Infoblox plugin dev team.

Background:
vRealize Automation(vRA) and vRealize Orchestrator(vRO) and Infoblox WAPI.

Create host record:
We are running vRA 6.2 and vRO Infoblox Plugin 3.1.0
When we deploy a vm the workflow "Reserve an IP in Network for vCAC VM" is run and a host record is created in infoblox.

We have recently setup a vRA 7.1 with vRO Infoblox Plugin 4.0.1
When we deploy a vm the workflow "infoblox/vRA/Allocate" is run and a host record is created
+ two extensible attributes that are populated when the host record is created.

VMware resource ID:
VMware NIC index:

Remove/release host record:
vRA 6.2 and vRO Infoblox 3.1.0
When we destroy a vm the workflow "Remove IPAM records associated with vCAC VM" is run and it searches for the host record name and deletes it.

[2016-11-03 08:08:05.204] [I] The host [xxx.example.com] was removed from IPAM.

vRA 7.1 and vRO Infoblox 4.0.1
When we destroy a vm the workflow "infoblox/vRA/Release" is run and it searches for a matching value for extensible attributes VM ID.
When found it deletes the host record.

[2016-11-03 07:44:55.372] [I] Searching for host records by specified extensible attributes:
VMware resource ID EQUAL "bebd070a-2530-4827-9701-be078d72faf7"
VMware NIC index EQUAL "0"
[2016-11-03 07:44:55.411] [I] The following host records were found:
xxx.example.com/default
[2016-11-03 07:44:55.508] [I] The host record [xxx.example.com/default] was removed from IPAM.

The problem:
We are going to migrate a couple of hundreds vms that have been deployed in vRA 6.2 and vRO Infoblox plugin 3.1.0, hence it does not have the extensible attributes set on the host records.

So after we have migrated from 6.2 to 7.1 and we are going to destroy a machine, the infoblox release workflow wont find the host record, because it looks after the extensible attributes that does not exist on those host records.

I have tried deploy a vm with the 4.0.1 plugin, then delete the extensible attributes, then destroy vm so release workflow is run, and it does not find the host record :/

So.. is there a way to make the 4.0.1 plugin look for the host record name and not the extensible attributes? Maybe with some custom property? Can't find any in the docs. If not can it be implemented in the next release of the plugin?

If someone can link this post to the development team of the vRO plugin would be great. Smiley Happy

/Best regards Mattias

Re: VMware vRO Infoblox IPAM Plugin 4.0.1 vs 3.1.0 and how remove/release host record is done? (WAPI

ukusic
Techie
4622     0

Anyone out there? Smiley Happy

Is there a way to get in contact with the Infoblox vRA Plugin Team?

Re: VMware vRO Infoblox IPAM Plugin 4.0.1 vs 3.1.0 and how remove/release host record is done? (WAPI

TTiscareno Community Manager
Community Manager
4622     0

@ukusic wrote:

So.. is there a way to make the 4.0.1 plugin look for the host record name and not the extensible attributes? Maybe with some custom property? Can't find any in the docs. If not can it be implemented in the next release of the plugin?

If someone can link this post to the development team of the vRO plugin would be great. Smiley Happy

/Best regards Mattias

The name is not used because this would (potentially) not limit updates to a single object. The workflows can be customized to accomplish this, but this is not something that would be incorporated in the officially supported workflows.

If you are able to export the resource ID for your VMs, you can use the CSV Import feature in NIOS to update these separately. Here are the basic steps that you would need to accomplish this:

1. Export a list of all VMs with the VM name, IP address(es) and resource ID
  2. Structure that into a CSV file with the following (example) format:
    • header-hostrecord,addresses,configure_for_dns*,fqdn*,EA-VMware NIC index,EA-VMware resource ID
    • hostrecord,172.26.1.202,TRUE,QA09.qa.com,0,93d5406b-79eb-484f-b0c4-f065babf0719
  3. In the NIOS GUI, navigate to the Data Management tab and click on the CSV Import button in the toolbar on the right-hand side of the page.
  4. Select the Merge option and click Next.
  5. Browse to your CSV file and toggle the “On error option” to “Skip to the next row and continue”.
  6. Click Import

Regards,

Tony

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Recommended for You