Introducing SOC Insights for BloxOne Threat Defense: Boost your SOC efficiency with AI-driven insights to eliminate manual work and accelerate investigation and response times. Read the blog announcement here.

Getting Started

Host record A and PTR entries

[ Edited ]
6285     0

Hi all, this is a very basic (and hopefully easily answered) question. We have several people administering IPAM, DNS, DHCP, etc and I've recently discovered that everyone is kind of doing things their own way and I'd like to standardize. I use hosts 99% of the time and occationally a Reservatation in some specific circumstances. Can anyone tell me if there's ever a reason you wouldn't use a Host? I can't really see any reason to use, say, a Fixed Address or to manually create an A/PTR record when the Host encapsulates all that and more. I was asked to make my case and create some standard proceedures but I'm not really seeing any reason to go with anything other than Hosts during my research. I just wanted to cover my bases and see if there was any feedback on this. Thanks.

Re: Host record A and PTR entries

[ Edited ]
Authority
6285     0

Hello colt,

There are several reasons why customer decide to choose A and PTR Records. 

At first we have to make clear that NIOS is based on BIND and that the RFC defined Resource Records (A, AAAA, PTR, ...) are saved in the Database. The usage of Host-Records is a proprietary solution from Infoblox. And that is for some customers one point. They want to use and see the existing records in the GUI, maybe they want to filter, etc.

Additionaly the scavenge of records is not possible for Host records, only for A-Records, PTR-Records etc.

Of course there are other reason why some prefer A and PTR-Records.The good thing is that Infoblox let you decide which way you want to go.

Sebastian

Re: Host record A and PTR entries

Authority
6285     0

Hello colt,

There are several reasons why customer decide to choose A and PTR Records. 

At first we have to make clear that NIOS is based on BIND and that the RFC defined Resource Records (A, AAAA, PTR, ...) are saved in the Database. The usage of Host-Records is a proprietary solution from Infoblox. And that is for some customers the point. They want to use and see the existing records in the GUI, maybe they want to filter, etc.

Additionaly the scavenge of records is not possible for Host records, only for A-Records, PTR-Records etc.

Of course there are other reason why some prefer A and PTR-Records.The good thing is that Infoblox let you decide which way you want to go.

Sebastian

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommended for You