Introducing SOC Insights for BloxOne Threat Defense: Boost your SOC efficiency with AI-driven insights to eliminate manual work and accelerate investigation and response times. Read the blog announcement here.

Getting Started

Newbie question: subdomain creation

10978     0

Hi ...

Hopefully an easy one. 

I have no problem creating a domain in the zone I selected (i.e., mydomain in zone ucsd.edu). 

How do I make a subdomain of mydomain.ucsd.edu?? (i.e., www.mydomain.ucsd.edu)

So far, I have an alias (www.mydomain) on mydomain.ucsd.edu. I'm betting that's not the best way ...

Thanks!

Re: Newbie question: subdomain creation

[ Edited ]
Expert
10979     0

Hello, bdemchak

Are you trying to create a subdomain named www.mydomain.ucsd.edu or an A record named "www" inside the domain mydomain.ucsd.edu?

If you create a zone named www.mydomain.ucsd.edu (by following the same procedure used while created the first domain) it will be automatically placed as a subdomain of mydomain.ucsd.edu (if this one was previously created). 

Check inside the DNS > Zones tab if the "Toogle Hierarquical View" link is being displayed. This can lead you to think that the mydomain.ucsd.edu and www.mydomain.ucsd.edu are not related subdomains.

If you are trying to create an A record (www) you must access DNS > Zones > Add > Record > A Record and follow the wizard.

Hope this helps.

Paulo Costa

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommended for You