Infoblox’s global team of threat hunters uncovers a DNS operation with the ability to bypass traditional security measures and control the Great Firewall of China. Read about “Muddling Meerkat” and the many other threat actors discovered by Infoblox Threat Intel here.

NIOS DNS DHCP IPAM

servfail forwarding .local queries

Techie
1260     0

Recently had an issue when setting up a conditional forwarder zone from NIOS (8.6.2) DNS appliance, forwarding to a Microsoft DNS server.

One forwarder zone would not resolve (others worked fine) - and the problem zone was a '.local' zone.

Queries to the NIOS DNS server returned a servfail, with dig includeing a message about "local is reserved for multicast dns".

In the NIOS syslog, it had error messages like: insecurity proof failed resolving local

This last error message led me to DNSSEC validation, and turning validation OFF in the NIOS DNS configuration "fixed the issue" - queries now resolved!

Is this really the fix or workaround for forwarding .local queries? Anything else worth trying?

In general, I know .local should not be used in this instance, and for sure it's not a good idea to create an AD domain as  .local. But, I can't go back 10 years or so and get the AD guys to change it. Or suggest the proper fix is to migrate AD away from .local now. Smiley Wink

Thanks!

-Kier.

Re: servfail forwarding .local queries

Techie
1261     0

Negative Trust Anchor is the way to 'fix' this, without having to disable DNSSEC validation totally.

Added the abc.local zone name as a NTA and all is still working. Smiley Happy

-Kier.

Re: servfail forwarding .local queries

1261     0

Alternatively, disable validation for the zone permanently (since NTAs expire automatically) by adding the abc.local zone name to a validate-except clause in your server's options settings:

options {

validate-except { abc.local; };

};

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommended for You