Introducing SOC Insights for BloxOne Threat Defense: Boost your SOC efficiency with AI-driven insights to eliminate manual work and accelerate investigation and response times. Read the blog announcement here.

API & Integration, DevOps,NetOps,SecOps

Unable to get PTR records

2638     0

Hello,

I've noticed a strange behavior of REST API.

I have 0.0.14.in-addr.arpa auth zone, when I asked for all auth zone

/wapi/v2.7.3/zone_auth?_return_fields=fqdn,view,address,comment

I got <fqdn>14.0.0.0/24</fqdn>.

Then, I asked for all ptr records using just returned FQDN:

wapi/v2.7.3/record:ptr?zone=14.0.0.0/24&view=viewName&_max_results=500&_return_as_object=1&_paging=1

but I got an empty list.

But, when I asked for all records with <fqdn>14.0.0.0/24</fqdn> the API is able to find my records inside the zone:

wapi/v2.7.3/allrecords?zone=14.0.0.0/24&view=viewName&_max_results=500&_return_as_object=1&_paging=1

Also, when I ask for PTR records with zone name '0.0.14.in-addr.arpa' I am able to get my records. However, this is not my case, I would like to use API to get information about PTR records without manually changing the zone name.

Is it a bug?

My API version: 2.7.3, NIOS: 
8.2.9-383779

Re: Unable to get PTR records

2639     0

It's a quirky behavior, for sure.  You need to specify the zone in CIDR format here, and in some other places too.

Re: Unable to get PTR records

[ Edited ]
2639     0

Thank you for your answer, but unfortunately, I cannot rename the reverse mapping zone in the Infoblox DNS dashboard. 

I rely only on data returned by zone_auth API request, so I would like to make sure if API request for record: ptr expecting a different name than returned by zone_auth is a bug or not?

In my opinion, it is a bug because I cannot get another zone name when asking for all zones. Could you please confirm that?

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommended for You

Businesses are investing heavily into securing company resources from cyber-attacks form cybercrimin