Introducing SOC Insights for BloxOne Threat Defense: Boost your SOC efficiency with AI-driven insights to eliminate manual work and accelerate investigation and response times. Read the blog announcement here.

Community Blog

Writing Rules with the CPD Editor

While most of you may never touch it, I was just explaining how CPD works and it occurred to me that it probably would be helpful to share this as it took me quite awhile to wrap my head around how to write proper rules with the CPD editor.

As you should already know, the policy engine simple and rule-logic builder tools are only good for global checks (something that only occurs once in a config).  The CPD tool is necessary for checking things like interfaces or ACL lists where you need to match more than one time.  

Generally, I design an interface check rule as "it has to be this or this or that or it's a problem,"  Here's a simple example; Customer would like to have a policy that states that any interface that is configured as an access port needs to have port security enabled.  Here's the CPD text to go with it.

Optional-Block:  

interface (Gi|Fa) .+

switchport mode access

switchport port-security

Invalid-Block:

interface (Gi|Fa) .+

switchport mode access

logic is: 

Find a match on interfaces that start with the text "interface Gi" or "interface Fa" (GigabitEthernet and FastEthernet Interfaces) that also contain the line "switchport mode access" and the line "switchport mode port-security".  (the tab indents are import as this is how the engine knows what block of lines in the config to work with).  

IF it's not a match, that's ok (it's optional). However, the invalid says, if I find an interface that starts with the text "interface Gi" or "interface Fa" and contains the line "switchport mode access", flag it as a violation.  

Since this works just like rule logic, evaluated in order, any  GigabitEthernet or FastEthernet interface that doesn't match the optional but does match the invalid will be flagged. All other interfaces will be ignored because they do not match either rule. 

Let me know what you think!

Eric

Comments
‎01-30-2013 11:10 AM

Eric,

Thanks for posting this info! This was exactly the solution I needed.

I tried the examples in the help file and using the CPD rules included with NetMRI 6.4.5 with no success. They all used "Required:" which, according to the docs and my tests, only match once instead of every instance.

Pete

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: