Introducing SOC Insights for BloxOne Threat Defense: Boost your SOC efficiency with AI-driven insights to eliminate manual work and accelerate investigation and response times. Read the blog announcement here.

NIOS DNS DHCP IPAM

Forwarders in DNS view not overrided

Techie
4041     0

Guys,

I have some DNS members set up in a DNS view called I "internal". In this "DNS
view", in the "Forwarders" tab, is configured the IP 175.16.218.2.
I need to
configure a different Forwarder for some members of this DNS view. So, I overrided the "Forwarders" tab of these members with
the  IP 172.20.15.2, but they are still using IP 175.16.218.2 configured in the dns view as a forwarder in order to resolve domain names where they are not authoritative. Does anyone know how I can solve this problem?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Forwarders in DNS view not overrided

Authority
4042     0

To clarify first, members are not in a view, a view is assigned to a member.

This means the member configuration is actually "higher" in the configuration hierarchy in which the most specific configuration is used. That means that if a DNS view is assigned to a member, the forwarder configuration for that view is "more specific" or "lower in the hierarchy" than the member configuration. So if an incoming query falls into that view, the view's forwarder configuration is used.

You could remove the view's forwarder configuration, which means the member's configuration is used, but you'll have to see if that works in your environment. Thank you.

Jelle
Escalations Engineer EMEA

Techie
4042     0

Jelle, thanks for you answer.
I'm going to follow your suggestion by setting forwarders on servers and removing the forwarders setting from the view.
But now I have another doubt, what happens when I have two views with forwarders configure assigneds to a member server?
Thanks again

Authority
4042     0

In that case the forwarders configured on the view in which the incoming query falls, will be used. If you remove the forwarders from the view, the forwarders from the member will be used.

If you have a view (without forwarder configuration) assigned to more than one members with forwarders configured, you'll have a "multiple inheritence" scenario and the forwarder used depends on which member the query comes in. Thank you.

Jelle
Escalations Engineer EMEA

Techie
4042     0

Jelle,

I've tried the solution and it worked well.

Thanks for your help.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommended for You