Primary Disk is Full

Techie
2271     0

On our Grid, in one of the HA member's passive node says "100% - Primary Disk is Full".

Infoblox > show disk
Capacity Available Use%
Disk space for data: 101G 0 100%

What is the recommended troubleshooting approach?

Regards,

Gokul

Re: Primary Disk is Full

2272     0

we have the same problem! And the ADP stoped service because this issue

2272     0

You need to open a support case for further investigation.

2272     0

We have the same issue. The primary drive is full. Infoblox Version: 9.0.3-50212

Authority
2272     0

Support case will be required. There a several reasons the disk may be full and support may be needed to delete old files.

Authority
2272     0

This is what I was told when we opened a case to resize our vNIOS

Case Number
Business Impact
S2 - High - Service Impacted
Status
Waiting for Customer
Subject
VNIOS - 98% Primary drive is full

(Support Agent)

Hi,

Thank you so much for your reply.

Deploying the VM is beyond our support scope. Please contact the Accounts Team for assistance with the deployment and they will help you set up the VM.

Regards,

Authority
2272     0

I'll rephrase what support is trying to say.

Up to NIOS 9.0, the default size for NIOS OVA image was to deploy with 250GB disk. From 9.0 onward, the default size for NIOS OVA image was to deploy with 500GB disk.

The results to the "show disk" command is a capacity of 102GB for a 250GB disk and 229GB for a 500GB disk (allowing for dual partitioning and a few other partitions.

There is also another option of the "Resizable" image which has red text on the download page as shown below to not use this unless support or PS says to. (having said that, a quick check shows that the warning is missing for the majority of the 9.0.x OVA files).

For whatever reason, the resizeable image comes with a 60GB disk by default and NIOS 8.6 needs at least 70GB to function properly. I believe that the 9.0.x resizable images are not 150GB.

Screenshot 2024-09-21 234228.png

The results of "show disk" on your system is 8.8G which indicates a total disk size of 60GB. This indicates that whoever deployed the VM deployed the resizeable image.

When support said "Check the Vcenter settings why it shows only 8.8 GB.", what they were trying to say it "Please check the VM in Vcenter and see how big the virtual disk is. We expect it to be 250GB of 500GB but it looks like it is underprovisioned.

e.g. my GM has a 250GB disk as shown below (thin provisioned)

Screenshot 2024-09-21 234005.png

If you have a 60GB disk, you will need to redeploy the VM from scratch (i.e. promote the Grid Manager Candidate first and then just delete and redeploy the faulty box). 500GB is the current default but you might get away with 250GB. Bear in mind that latest software is getting larger so give it 500GB if you can.

In other cases I've seen drives fill up because an issue was causing large core dumps. In this case I'm guessing the hard drive provided to the NIOS VM is actually undersized.

Yes, support could have been clearer in the request and should have also provided you the contact details of your account team. I suggest reaching out to your solutions architect to discuss.

Authority
2272     0

Thank you, this was the exact information I needed.  I see my problem now was deploying using the nios-8.6.3-51135-1241097029df-2023-06-23-04-00-23-ddi-resizable-60G.ova

I also have nios-8.6.0-412613-2021-03-26-02-28-43-ddi.ova from a previous deployment which is what I should have used. 

Fortunately, this is only for a remote branch device and can easily be redeployed.  I just have to go through the pain of revoking the license and adding to new vNIOS device once deployed.  And getting it joined back to B1TD.

Thank you again for the details.  And I have already reached out to my account team.  I'm sure I'll hear from them on Monday.  Our SE is one of the best.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommended for You