Infoblox’s global team of threat hunters uncovers a DNS operation with the ability to bypass traditional security measures and control the Great Firewall of China. Read about “Muddling Meerkat” and the many other threat actors discovered by Infoblox Threat Intel here.

Getting Started

Unable to console to device

7358     0

I have never been able to console into an Infoblox appliance.  With that I have really only tried once since now and didn't have time to do a ton of troubleshooting.  Maybe I am doing something wrong but I am able to console into other vendor devices without any issues (examples: switches, routers, ups's...). I am looking for assistance on how to set up a console connection so that I may join some new appliances to the grid.

I have used a MacBook (macOS Mojave 10.14.3) and a Dell Windows laptop running Windows 10. On the MacBook, I am using the native Screen app. With the Dell laptop, I have used Putty and TeraTerm. I have verified that the correct COM port is selected for what connection along with the recommended settings found at this page: https://docs.infoblox.com/display/IIGFIAAP2200/Console+Port.

I am using a TrippLite KeySpan Model USA-19HS USB to Serial adapter (the serial portion is a DB-9 Male. I am then using DB9 (female) to RJ45 (male) connector. On the RJ45 connector is another small adapter converting the RJ45 back to serial (DB-9 female). This end is then able to fit into the DB-9 male serial port in the Infoblox appliance.

When launching any terminal application either on the MacBook or Dell laptop, I get to a blank screen with no output. I attempt to hit any key on the keyboard and nothing appears.

Re: Unable to console to device

7359     0

Turns out it is just the pinout of the rj45 to serial adapter.  I tried another engineer's adapter that has a cisco like pinout and this worked.  We don't normally have this one around.

Re: Unable to console to device

7359     0

Same problem here. Kinda lame that they can't just have r45 console access. don't have a single adapter that works. 

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommended for You