Infoblox’s global team of threat hunters uncovers a DNS operation with the ability to bypass traditional security measures and control the Great Firewall of China. Read about “Muddling Meerkat” and the many other threat actors discovered by Infoblox Threat Intel here.

API & Integration, DevOps,NetOps,SecOps

Best practices for reserving ranges then adding hosts

1840     0

Hi,

I've read through lots of posts but not seen exactly what I'm looking for.

I need to reserve ranges for services. So when people reserve a new network they can't take one that is already reserved and they know not to steal a /28 from a reserved /24. I then need to automate assigning the next unused IP within that range for servers that come online.
I tired using the DHCP reservation as it leaves the range reserved at range level but the IPs unused. This disables the next IP function apparently within the range so I couldn't add a host using netx IP.

So what is the best practice for reserving a network at range level for a service but allowing IPs free IPs within that range to be assigned automatically?

Re: Best practices for reserving ranges then adding hosts

Adviser
1840     0

Hi,

This is what you can do:

1. Create a /24 network, say 10.10.10.0/24
  2. Create a reservation range using all the IPs in the network, 10.10.10.1 - 10.10.10.254
  3. When you run a "next_available_network"or "next_available_ip" call against the network, it will return with an empty response.
  4. For servers that need to be allocated IP addresses from this reserved range, issue the "next_available_ip" call against the range, like below:
    API to get the range reference:
    curl -k -u <uname>:<pwd> -X GET 'https://grid-master/wapi/v2.10/range?network=10.10.10.0/24'
    Sample output:
    [
        {
            "_ref": "range/ZG5zLmRoY3BfcmFuZ2UkMTAuMTAuMTAuMS8xMC4xMC4xMC4yNTQvLy8wLw:10.10.10.1/10.10.10.254/default",
            "end_addr": "10.10.10.254",
            "network": "10.10.10.0/24",
            "network_view": "default",
            "start_addr": "10.10.10.1"
        }
    ]

API to get next available IP within the range:
    curl -k -u <uname>:<pwd> -X POST 'https://grid-master/wapi/v2.10/range/ZG5zLmRoY3BfcmFuZ2UkMTAuMTAuMTAuMS8xMC4xMC4xMC4yNTQvLy8wLw:10.10.10.1/10.10.10.254/default?_function=next_available_ip'
    Sample output:
    {
        "ips": [
            "10.10.10.1"
        ]
    }

Hope this is helpful,

Regards,

Krishna

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: