Infoblox’s global team of threat hunters uncovers a DNS operation with the ability to bypass traditional security measures and control the Great Firewall of China. Read about “Muddling Meerkat” and the many other threat actors discovered by Infoblox Threat Intel here.

API & Integration, DevOps,NetOps,SecOps

how to exclude reserved IPs when using 'get next available IP in ansible

[ Edited ]
Techie
4000     1

for providing the next_available_ip..all the 0 to 10 ips are reservers in every subnet/class ranges. i  need to do exclude these reserved ip for different class/subnet of ip ranges....

so  my plan is to pass the first 3 class of network range as external variable to exclude.

for eg. 

variable= 192.168.10 or 75.10.65

exclude=['{{variable}} .1' , '{{variable}}.2' , '{{variable}}.3',.........'{{variable}}.10']

Getting below error when i try to pass the exclue (reserved) ips as variable in ansible lookup module and also in  nios_a_record/nios_host_record modules..

vars:
nxt_ip_ntw: "192.168.10.0/24"
tasks:

- name: set fact for the exclude ip class
set_fact:
ip_class: "{{nxt_ip_ntw[:-4]}}"

- name: setfact the exclude as variable
set_fact:
ex_var: "{{'{{ip_class}}1', '{{ip_class}}2', '{{ip_class}}3', '{{ip_class}}4', '{{ip_class}}5', '{{ip_class}}6', '{{ip_class}}7', '{{ip_class}}8', '{{ip_class}}9', '{{ip_class}}10'}}"

: ERROR:

fatal: [localhost]: FAILED! => {"msg": "template error while templating string: invalid syntax for function call expression. String: {{ lookup ( 'nios_next_ip', '{{nxt_ip_ntw}}', num=20, 'exclude=[{{ex_var}}]', provider=nios_provider) }}"}

how can i pass the exclude as variable please help for API method and also for Ansible lookup method.

Working method in ansible is need to pass as list of item for exclude

- name: return the next 3 available IP addresses for network 192.168.10.0/24 excluding ip addresses - ['192.168.10.1', '192.168.10.2']
  ansible.builtin.set_fact:
    ipaddr: "{{ lookup('community.general.nios_next_ip', '{{nxt_ip_ntw}}', num=3, exclude=['192.168.10.1', '192.168.10.2'],
                provider={'host': 'nios01', 'username': 'admin', 'password': 'password'}) }}"
var:

Re: how to exclude reserved IPs when using 'get next available IP in ansible

4000     1

Hi Gany,

The error occurs because of single quotes inserted on the "exclude" parameter of the lookup call.  A simpler solution to the problem is to pass the ex_var as a list variable directly into the lookup call.

You can try this:

vars:

tasks:
    - name: set fact for the exclude ip class
      set_fact:
        ip_class: "{{nxt_ip_ntw[:-4]}}"

- name: setfact the exclude as variable
      set_fact:
        ex_var: "['{{ip_class}}1', '{{ip_class}}2', '{{ip_class}}3', '{{ip_class}}4', '{{ip_class}}5', '{{ip_class}}6', '{{ip_class}}7', '{{ip_class}}8', '{{ip_class}}9', '{{ip_class}}10']"

- name: ansible NIOS call
      set_fact:
        ipaddr: "{{ lookup('infoblox.nios_modules.nios_next_ip', '{{nxt_ip_ntw}}', num=3, exclude=ex_var, provider={'host': '10.196.205.100', 'username': 'admin', 'password': 'infoblox'}) }}"

We eliminate the syntax error by not using "{{ }}" repeatedly. 

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need anything else.

Thanks and Regards

Vedant Sethia

Re: how to exclude reserved IPs when using 'get next available IP in ansible

Techie
4001     1

Thanks Vedanth. its working Smiley Happy

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommended for You