Infoblox’s global team of threat hunters uncovers a DNS operation with the ability to bypass traditional security measures and control the Great Firewall of China. Read about “Muddling Meerkat” and the many other threat actors discovered by Infoblox Threat Intel here.

API & Integration, DevOps,NetOps,SecOps

Unable to get PTR records

2753     0

Hello,

I've noticed a strange behavior of REST API.

I have 0.0.14.in-addr.arpa auth zone, when I asked for all auth zone

/wapi/v2.7.3/zone_auth?_return_fields=fqdn,view,address,comment

I got <fqdn>14.0.0.0/24</fqdn>.

Then, I asked for all ptr records using just returned FQDN:

wapi/v2.7.3/record:ptr?zone=14.0.0.0/24&view=viewName&_max_results=500&_return_as_object=1&_paging=1

but I got an empty list.

But, when I asked for all records with <fqdn>14.0.0.0/24</fqdn> the API is able to find my records inside the zone:

wapi/v2.7.3/allrecords?zone=14.0.0.0/24&view=viewName&_max_results=500&_return_as_object=1&_paging=1

Also, when I ask for PTR records with zone name '0.0.14.in-addr.arpa' I am able to get my records. However, this is not my case, I would like to use API to get information about PTR records without manually changing the zone name.

Is it a bug?

My API version: 2.7.3, NIOS: 
8.2.9-383779

Re: Unable to get PTR records

2754     0

It's a quirky behavior, for sure.  You need to specify the zone in CIDR format here, and in some other places too.

Re: Unable to get PTR records

[ Edited ]
2754     0

Thank you for your answer, but unfortunately, I cannot rename the reverse mapping zone in the Infoblox DNS dashboard. 

I rely only on data returned by zone_auth API request, so I would like to make sure if API request for record: ptr expecting a different name than returned by zone_auth is a bug or not?

In my opinion, it is a bug because I cannot get another zone name when asking for all zones. Could you please confirm that?

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommended for You

Businesses are investing heavily into securing company resources from cyber-attacks form cybercrimin