Introducing SOC Insights for BloxOne Threat Defense: Boost your SOC efficiency with AI-driven insights to eliminate manual work and accelerate investigation and response times. Read the blog announcement here.

Automation Scripts

Network utilisation value meaning?

269     0

Hi,

So I pulled back the following:

{
    "_ref""ipam:statistics/ZG5zLm5ldHdvcmskMTAuMTk5LjcxLjAvMjQvMA:default/10.199.71.0/24",
    "cidr"24,
    "network""10.199.71.0",
    "network_view""default",
    "utilization"236,
    "utilization_update"1699967267
}

The utilization value is percentage. So first 236% is odd, so I assumed /100. But with 62 out of 256 IPs used that isn't 23.6. Anyone have ideas what that value is?
Thanks Mark

Re: Network utilisation value meaning?

[ Edited ]
269     0

@MarkDogNeedsBest wrote:

Hi,

So I pulled back the following:

{
    "_ref""ipam:statistics/ZG5zLm5ldHdvcmskMTAuMTk5LjcxLjAvMjQvMA:default/10.199.71.0/24",
    "cidr"24,
    "network""10.199.71.0",
    "network_view""default",
    "utilization"236,
    "utilization_update"1699967267
}

The utilization value is percentage. So first 236% is odd, so I assumed /100. But with 62 out of 256 IPs used that isn't 23.6. Anyone have ideas what that value is?
Thanks Mark

Hello,

I understand that you want to know what the utilization value of 236 means in your IPAM statistics output. I did some research and found a possible explanation for you.

The utilization value for a network is the percentage based on the IP addresses in use divided by the total addresses in the network. However, this value may not reflect the actual utilization of the network, as it does not account for the reserved or excluded IP addresses that are not available for allocation. Therefore, the utilization value may be higher than 100% if the number of IP addresses in use is greater than the number of IP addresses available for allocation.

To get a more accurate utilization value, you can use the IPAMv4 Utilization Dashboards feature in the Infoblox NIOS 8.5. This feature allows you to view the utilization data for IPv4 networks and network containers in different categories, such as:

Utilization%: The percentage of IP address in use over the total number of IP addresses in the network.
Unmanaged: The number of discovered IP addresses that do not have corresponding records on the appliance, such as A records, PTR records, fixed address records, host records, or leases.
Reserved: The number of IP addresses that are reserved for special purposes, such as network, broadcast, gateway, or DHCP failover.
Excluded: The number of IP addresses that are excluded from allocation by the appliance.
Available: The number of IP addresses that are available for allocation by the appliance.

Using the IPAMv4 Utilization Dashboards, you can see the breakdown of the IP addresses in your network and compare the utilization value with the available value to get a better understanding of the network usage.

I hope this helps you answer your question. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask me.

Best Regard,
BookerE1

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommended for You