Introducing SOC Insights for BloxOne Threat Defense: Boost your SOC efficiency with AI-driven insights to eliminate manual work and accelerate investigation and response times. Read the blog announcement here.

Automation Scripts

Update/modify multiple A records

2623     0

Is there any why that i can modify/update multiple DNS record through Powershell Script?
any other script available can you please provide?.

Re: Update/modify multiple A records

2624     0

In order to do this in bulk you will need to give it a list or range of IP’s to update in a PowerShell scrip then loop through it and do something like the following:

1. Get the record by the IP and view or some other unique qualifying domain then take the response of the “_ref” field and use it in the second step

// GET

$headers = New-Object "System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary[[String],[String]]"

$headers.Add("Authorization", " Basic b3A3aW59ZXR0ZWxHNe3Om5Zi5SkE5d3RojGtqcjbnmGse=")

$response = Invoke-RestMethod 'https://<Infoblox_appliance_domain_here>/wapi/v<Version>/record:a?ipv4addr=<IP_of_record>&view=default.kevin' -Method 'GET' -Headers $headers

$response | ConvertTo-Json

1. Get the response data and grab the “_ref data”:

//example return data

[

{

"_ref": "record:a/ZG5zLmJpbmRfYSQuMjk0LmNvbS56b25lLmRlbW8sdGVtcDEsMTAuMC4wLjE:temp1.demo.zone.com/default.kevin", // This is what you want

"ipv4addr": "10.0.0.1",

"name": "temp1.demo.zone.com",

"view": "default.kevin"

}

]

1. Update the information you want in this example I’ve updated the comment but it’s up to you. Additionally I used the “_ref” field in the previous call to update the record in the PUT request.

// PUT

$headers = New-Object "System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary[[String],[String]]"

$headers.Add("Authorization", "Basic b3A3aW59ZXR0ZWxHNe3Om5Zi5SkE5d3RojGtqcjbnmGse=")

$headers.Add("Content-Type", "application/json")

//here example of changing comment but you can change any field to the request

$body = "{

`n    `"comment`":`"hello again`"

`n}"

$response = Invoke-RestMethod 'https://<Infoblox_appliance_domain_Here>/wapi/v<Version>/record:a/ZG5zLmJpbmRfYSQuMjk0LmNvbS56b25lLmRlbW8sdGVtcDEsMTAuMC4wLjE:temp1.demo.zone.com/default.kevin' -Method 'PUT' -Headers $headers -Body $body

$response | ConvertTo-Json

Do note that I’m not a powershell expert so I’ll let you decide on how to loop through the IP’s of the A-records that you want to update. Another way you could do it is to grab all the A records in a network with a API call with powershell then loop through all the returned objects and update every a record with the “_ref”.

Hope this helps.

Kevin Zettel

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommended for You