Introducing SOC Insights for BloxOne Threat Defense: Boost your SOC efficiency with AI-driven insights to eliminate manual work and accelerate investigation and response times. Read the blog announcement here.

NIOS DNS DHCP IPAM

Add external Secondary to a Zone already in NSG

Authority
4871     0

Hi All

We must add an external secondary MS to a Zone that is already defined in GRID inside a Name Server Group with 6 DNS server grid primary\secondary Externa Secondary

AFAIK there is two possibile solution:

1. On the zone select, Add members (instead keep Use this Name Server Group )  select "Use this set of name servers" and pick the same members which are in Name Server Group more the new external secondary

2. Define a New Name Server Group with same members, more the external secondary and choose this NSG instead the previous

The questions are:

a. Is there another way?

b. Are these way secure?

I mean, the Zone data (all RR) are always kept or are deleted and must be re-imported after the zone membership change?

Thanks in advance

Re: Add external Secondary to a Zone already in NSG

Authority
4871     0

Soumeone has some suggestions?

Thank in advance

Adviser
4872     0

If you are using a Name Server Group, and one zone requires additional name servers, then I would probably create a second name server group.  I would use CSV export to export the existing name servers, open in Excel and remove all others, change the name in the Excel file, save as a new name and import.  Once you have a new Name Server Group, add the new server and update the zone to use the new name server group.  Restart services to activate the changes.

Authority
4872     0

Hi JLeveillee

Thanks for your answer, very appreciated.

Seems to be the best option.

The only doubt is, will be kept the resource records inside the zone when the new name server group (all previous members more the external secondary.) will be associated?

Consider that the type roles (grid secondary external primary and so on) will be the same.

Fabio

Adviser
4872     0

I have changed name servers on a zone with no impact to the records in the zone.  Any auto-generated recoreds in the zone will be udpated (i.e. NS records) automatically.

Authority
4872     0

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommended for You