Introducing SOC Insights for BloxOne Threat Defense: Boost your SOC efficiency with AI-driven insights to eliminate manual work and accelerate investigation and response times. Read the blog announcement here.

NIOS DNS DHCP IPAM

DDNS with Infoblox DHCP and MS DNS

Authority
2572     0

Hi,

I'm testing the DDNS procedure from Infoblox DHCP and MS DNS servers.

At the moment I want to test only one network with no security option.

I want the Infoblox will be able to create/modify both A record and PTR.

Then, from my understanding I have to perform these steps:

1) With client defualt option 12 (hostname)

- From DHCP network "Enable DDNS update"

- From DHCP network I had to specify the domain (option 15) in order to build the FQDN with hostname sent           by client

- From configure DDNS (DDNS options) I'll configure the DNS UPDATES TO EXTERNAL ZONES with the           forward-zone I want to update.

- FIRST Question : because I want to modify also the ptr record, Should I also add the reverse-mapping zone?

if yes, is this the right format (example of /16 Network): 142.10.in-addr.arpa ?

- Last think I had to do is modify the MS DNS in order to accept update from the member where the netowrk is         in charge

2) With FQDN  option 81

- Clients must to sand DHCPDISCOVERY with option 81

- From DHCP network "Enable DDNS update"

- From DHCP network "Enable Option 81 Support" with first option because I want DHCP server always                    updates DNS

- From configure DDNS (DDNS options) I'll configure the DNS UPDATES TO EXTERNAL ZONES with the            forward-zone I want to update.

- SECOND Question: the "Zones to Update for Hosts Using DHCP FQDN Option" is used only for DDNS in          Grid?

- I should use the same DNS UPDATES TO EXTERNAL ZONES used for the first case also if I use option 81?

Please, let me know if I'm working properly or if I forgot something.

Thank you,

Fabio Colombo

Re: DDNS with Infoblox DHCP and MS DNS

Authority
2573     0

Hi,

is there anyone that can clarify my doubts?

Thank you,

Fabio Colombo

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommended for You