Infoblox’s global team of threat hunters uncovers a DNS operation with the ability to bypass traditional security measures and control the Great Firewall of China. Read about “Muddling Meerkat” and the many other threat actors discovered by Infoblox Threat Intel here.

API Examples

WAPI for Reverse Zone

[ Edited ]
Guru
5267     1

I have a number of /19 blocks that I am attempting to allow a particular group to have specific permissions.  Because they are /19s, for each block I have to create a separate reverse zone for each of teh /24s inside the /19.

For a given /19, that's 32 reverse zones.  If the blocks could be contiguous, I'd condense them into a /16, and create one reverse zone, but that's not possible.

Is it possible to create a reverse zone via the WAPI?  I typically use python, but curl would probably suffice.  I'd also like to apply a standard set of perissions to each of these reverse zones.  Can that be automated as well?

Re: WAPI for Reverse Zone

Adviser
5267     1

Hi,

You can use the following WAPI to create reverse zones:

import requests

url = "https://grid-master/wapi/v2.10/zone_auth"

payload="{\r\n\t\"fqdn\": \"10.10.10.in-addr.arpa \",\r\n\t\"zone_format\":\"IPV4\"\r\n}\r\n"
headers = {
  'Authorization': 'Basic Yxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx',
  'Content-Type': 'application/json'
}

response = requests.request("POST", url, headers=headers, data=payload)

print(response.text)

Regards,

Krishna Vasudevan

Guru
5267     1

Would you happen to have anything for setting the group permissions on a reverse zone?

[ Edited ]
Guru
5267     1

I have what I'll call a stoopid python question.

Why do this:

payload="{\r\n\t\"fqdn\": \"10.10.10.in-addr.arpa\",\r\n\t\"zone_format\":\"IPV4\"\r\n}\r\n"

Instead of this:

payload={"fqdn": "10.10.10.in-addr.arpa","zone_format": "IPV4"}

Both work with python 3.8.  The fact that one needs all those escaping characters makes me want to start drinking heavily.

Adviser
5268     1

Haha! Good catch!

I just used the code converted by Postman.

Regards,

Krishna

5268     1

Is it possible to add the zone to a name server group instead of individual or a set of name servers?

None

Use this Name Server Group  

Use this set of name servers

Thanks

Bikram

Authority
5268     1

To use a name server group instead of a individual or a set of name servers, you would use the field ns_group instead of the fields grid_primary, external_primary, grid_secondaries or external_secondaries.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommended for You