Infoblox’s global team of threat hunters uncovers a DNS operation with the ability to bypass traditional security measures and control the Great Firewall of China. Read about “Muddling Meerkat” and the many other threat actors discovered by Infoblox Threat Intel here.

API & Integration, DevOps,NetOps,SecOps

infoblox-client, AWX and python3

6771     0

Hi all, I'm having an issue getting the infoblox-client module to work inside AWX.  I have it installed in the ansible virtual environment and can even run a playbook utilizing nios inside that venv, but when I try to run the same play in AWX I get this error:

"msg": "An unhandled exception occurred while running the lookup plugin 'nios'. Error was a <class 'Exception'>, original message: infoblox-client is required but does not appear to be installed. It can be installed using the command `pip install infoblox-client`"

I see inside the ansible venv that it appears to be installed properly:

(ansible) bash-4.4# pip3 show infoblox-client
Name: infoblox-client
Version: 0.5.0
Summary: Client for interacting with Infoblox NIOS over WAPI
Home-page: https://github.com/infobloxopen/infoblox-client
Author: John Belamaric
Author-email: jbelamaric@infoblox.com
License: Apache
Location: /var/lib/awx/venv/ansible/lib/python3.6/site-packages
Requires: oslo.serialization, six, setuptools, requests, oslo.log, urllib3
Required-by:

I have also even tried adding a task at the top of the play to install the infoblox-client prior to the other tasks. The task confirms that infblox-client is installed, yet I still get the same error.  Is this a possible bug in python3?  Any help would be much appreciated!

Re: infoblox-client, AWX and python3

Adviser
6771     0

Hi,

Can you verify the python version that awx is using?

6772     0

I'm using python version 3.6.8, however I was able to find a solution.  There was a mismatch of installed modules between the virtual environment awx_web and awx_task containers.  Once I installed the missing modules for the venv on the awx_task container everything started working.  Might be something worth checking if anyone else comes across the issue.

6772     0

Hello,

What were your missing modules ?

In my containers (awx_task / awx_web) there are same modules... and I have installed infoblox-client with this command : "pip install infoblox-client"

Note : with "pip3 install infoblox-client" I have the same issue

"msg": "An unhandled exception occurred while running the lookup plugin 'nios'. Error was a <class 'Exception'>, original message: infoblox-client is required but does not appear to be installed. It can be installed using the command `pip install infoblox-client`"

I have no issue with my custom virtualenv and I have installed infoblox-client with the same command Smiley Sad

Is there an issue with python 3.6.8 ? (custom virtualenv works with python 3.8.5)

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommended for You