Introducing SOC Insights for BloxOne Threat Defense: Boost your SOC efficiency with AI-driven insights to eliminate manual work and accelerate investigation and response times. Read the blog announcement here.

NIOS DNS DHCP IPAM

Best practice for host records when devices have mutliple IPs?

7548     0

What is best practice, or typically done when you have a device in Infoblox that has multiple interfaces with IP addresses (routers, firewalls, etc)? I know I can put everything in a single host record, but this returns the DNS record for each address attached to the host record. I would prefer that the DNS records only be associated with the management interface of the device, but still be able to see which device the other IPs are associated with in Infoblox. Should I create one host record that is enabled in DNS for the management interface, and then another host record that is not enabled in DNS for all the interfaces so I can identify which IPs the device is using?

Re: Best practice for host records when devices have mutliple IPs?

7549     0

Hey have you looked into superhost?

https://docs.infoblox.com/display/nios83/Configuring+Super+Hosts

7549     0

That looks like the solution I was looking for! Unfortunately we are still running 8.2 and it appears Super Host were added for 8.3. I think I will start creating host records and then consolidate them when we upgrade. Thank you for the response!

7549     0

While this appears like it will work, it doesn't according to my testing. Here is what I tried:

1. Created a Host Record in the internal range for my device:  HR1.abc.com
    1. Host (not A) record
    2. DNS enabled
    3. 10.100.100.10
  2. Created a Host Record in the external range for the same device: HR1
    1. Host (not A) record
    2. DNS NOT enabled
      1. I only want the internal IP resolveable)
    3. 192.168.100.10
  3. Created a Suprehost record: HR1
    1. Added record from Step 1 
      1. HR1.abc.com 
      2. No issues
    2. Attempted to add the record from step 2
      1. HR1 (no domain associated as DNS is not enabled)
      2. Can not filter for the object
      3. Search criteria will not let you search for an object that has no dns zone
      4. The zone does not show up by IP as it is not DHCP enabled.

In theory Suprehosts are a great idea, but in practice they fell short for me.  For now I have the two records created as described, but they are not associated to a single entity as is desired.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommended for You

NIOS 8.6.3 – What’s New in DDI