Infoblox’s global team of threat hunters uncovers a DNS operation with the ability to bypass traditional security measures and control the Great Firewall of China. Read about “Muddling Meerkat” and the many other threat actors discovered by Infoblox Threat Intel here.

NIOS DNS DHCP IPAM

DNS Migration from MS to Infoblox

Authority
3347     3

Hi Experts, 

I am working on building a migration plan from MS DNS to Infoblox at my organization.

In our current setup ,we have MS DNS servers running AD integrated zones.

How can I migrate data over to IB without disrupting production?

The initial response from IB representative was to make MS DNS as a forwarder to IB.I am looking into that design but have a few questions: 

1) Do we delete the AD integrated zone (zone A for e.g.) from the  MS DNS server and configure a conditional forwarder for it on MS DNS server to forward to IB which is now primary ?( considering we have created an authoritative zone A on IB and imported zone data into it using DIW and have configured it to receive updates from the domain controller etc.)

2) How exactly is the forwarder configured? Do I need configure a conditional forwarder for zone A on each of my existing MS DNS server ? ( There are 100s in our environment)

3) Do we need to make this change for zone A in all the DNS servers at once (same moment) to prevent them to have stale copies to the DNS database?

4) From what I gather ALL the below actions need to be completed at the same moment:

- Configure Domain Controller DNS to point to the new IB appliance ( fully configured)

- Configure conditional forwarder on ALL MS DNS servers to forward to IB for zone A.

- Update ALL DHCP servers in your environment to send DDNS udpdates to the new IB appliance.

With multiple DNS servers running AD integrated zones (and multipleDHCP servers), I need to understand how to go about planning this change.

Regards,

Kirti

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommended for You