Introducing SOC Insights for BloxOne Threat Defense: Boost your SOC efficiency with AI-driven insights to eliminate manual work and accelerate investigation and response times. Read the blog announcement here.

NIOS DNS DHCP IPAM

DNS Migration from MS to Infoblox

Authority
3269     3

Hi Experts, 

I am working on building a migration plan from MS DNS to Infoblox at my organization.

In our current setup ,we have MS DNS servers running AD integrated zones.

How can I migrate data over to IB without disrupting production?

The initial response from IB representative was to make MS DNS as a forwarder to IB.I am looking into that design but have a few questions: 

1) Do we delete the AD integrated zone (zone A for e.g.) from the  MS DNS server and configure a conditional forwarder for it on MS DNS server to forward to IB which is now primary ?( considering we have created an authoritative zone A on IB and imported zone data into it using DIW and have configured it to receive updates from the domain controller etc.)

2) How exactly is the forwarder configured? Do I need configure a conditional forwarder for zone A on each of my existing MS DNS server ? ( There are 100s in our environment)

3) Do we need to make this change for zone A in all the DNS servers at once (same moment) to prevent them to have stale copies to the DNS database?

4) From what I gather ALL the below actions need to be completed at the same moment:

- Configure Domain Controller DNS to point to the new IB appliance ( fully configured)

- Configure conditional forwarder on ALL MS DNS servers to forward to IB for zone A.

- Update ALL DHCP servers in your environment to send DDNS udpdates to the new IB appliance.

With multiple DNS servers running AD integrated zones (and multipleDHCP servers), I need to understand how to go about planning this change.

Regards,

Kirti

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommended for You