Introducing SOC Insights for BloxOne Threat Defense: Boost your SOC efficiency with AI-driven insights to eliminate manual work and accelerate investigation and response times. Read the blog announcement here.

NIOS DNS DHCP IPAM

How to configure Infoblox Appliance for "nslookup localhost"?

[ Edited ]
2854     0

I inherited a network environment with an Infoblox appliance so i am not too familiar with it.

On my linux workstation, when I type in "nslookup localhost", it returns with "server can't find localhost".  This is normal because the entry "localhost" is not added to my Infoblox Appliance.

When I do a "nslookup 127.0.0.1", it returns with localhost.  I see that there is a PTR record for this in Infoblox.  I was told that  I need to add an A record but I am unclear on where to add this.

Where/How do I add "localhost" in my Infoblox Appliance so that it returns 127.0.0.1 to my linux workstation?

Re: How to configure Infoblox Appliance for "nslookup localhost"?

2854     0

I found this KB article that describes exactly the issue that I am having.

https://support.infoblox.com/s/article/3152

I just followed the instructions and added an A record for localhost in my Infoblox Appliance.

Resolution

To resolve the issue, you must:

1. Create a zone named "localhost" in the Infoblox DNS server
  2. Create a blank "A" record under hte localhost zone which points to the IP address 127.0.0.1.

To create a "localhost" zone and an "A" record:

1.  From the Data Management tab, select DNS tab > Zones, and then click the Add icon > Authoritative Zone.
  2. Click Next. Enter "localhost" under the Name section.
  3. Click Next to assign a name server group to the zone.
  4. Click Next and add Extensible Attributes if any, then click Save & Close.
  5. On the Zones tab, expand the Toolbar and click Add > Record > Add A Record.
  6. In the Add A Record wizard, do the following:
  • Name: click Select Zone button and choose the zone name "localhost" in the dialog box and then leave the Name section as blank/empty.
  • In the IP Addresses section, enter the IP address 127.0.0.1
  • Comment: Optionally, enter additional information about the A record.
  • Create associated PTR record: Select this option to automatically generate a PTR record that maps the specified IP address to the hostname. To create the PTR record, the reverse-mapping zone must be in the database.
  • Disable: Select this check box to disable the record. Clear the check box to enable it.
  1. Click Next to define extensible attributes if any.
  2.  Save the configuration.
  3. Click Restart if it appears at the top of the screen.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommended for You