Introducing SOC Insights for BloxOne Threat Defense: Boost your SOC efficiency with AI-driven insights to eliminate manual work and accelerate investigation and response times. Read the blog announcement here.

NIOS DNS DHCP IPAM

Migrate InfoBlox DNS to Microsoft DNS Servers

7613     1

Hello Everyone,

This is my first post. I have seen many post regarding migrating Microsoft DNS to Infoblox but not the opposite. Hope I can get some replies on this. 

I want to migrate infoblox DNS to Microsoft DNS server. What is the best and easy method to acheive this? I have few ideas but not sure if this is possible. 

- Enable Zone Transfer between Infoblox DNS and MS DNS, Once sync is completed then remove infoblox DNS from the network. Point all clients to MS DNS

-Export Zone from Infoblox as CSV fromat. Import the file in MS DNS. Point all clients to MS DNS.

- Any Export tool availble ?

- Manually create records in the MS DNS (Hate to do it but last option)

Please Note, i already have AD intergrated DNS running on MS DNS server. I just need to migrate other authoritative Zone from infoblox to MS DNS.

Thank you

Re: Migrate InfoBlox DNS to Microsoft DNS Servers

Expert
7613     1

Yes, set up your MS DNS servers to zone transfer from Infoblox. Then you can convert each zone to be a primary, and finally modify it to be AD-integrated.

Paul Roberts
PCN (UK) Ltd

All opinions expressed are my own and not representative of PCN Inc./PCN (UK) Ltd. E&OE

7614     1

Thanks Paul. I will give it a try and update the forum. 

[ Edited ]
7614     1

Hello everyone,

I have the same issue.

I have a standalone server, have exported the .csv of the DNS records on infoblox but can't find a way to import them on MS DNS in bulk. There are a few hundred records to be exported from infoblox and then migrated to MS DNS, so doing them manually is not an option. 

@Paul can you elaborate on your last answer, please?
In my case, there's no connectivity between infoblox and the standalone server itself.
Thanks a lot for your help!

[ Edited ]
Expert
7614     1

If you don't have any connectivity between the MS DNS server and Infoblox then you are obviously going to have to import them manually somehow into MS DNS, maybe there's some Powershell commands you can run but it's not something I have much experience with tbh. Google is your friend here, please let us know the answer when you've figured it out! :-)

Paul Roberts
PCN (UK) Ltd

All opinions expressed are my own and not representative of PCN Inc./PCN (UK) Ltd. E&OE

Expert
7614     1

Actually there is a way you can do this, simply do a zone transfer from Infoblox to a file, you can do it using dig on a Linux box, eg. dig @infoblox-ip domain.com axfr > domain.com.db

Now copy the db file to the MS DNS server and create a zone in MS DNS to use that db file.

Paul Roberts
PCN (UK) Ltd

[ Edited ]
7614     1

Thnx a lot for your help here Paul, much appreciated!
I will need to test and post the solution.

7614     1

Hi GUQ,

I also need to perform the migration of DNS and DHCP services from Infoblox to Microsoft Windows Server.

Could you please the method and steps you used to perform your migration?

Thanks a lot in advance...

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommended for You