Introducing SOC Insights for BloxOne Threat Defense: Boost your SOC efficiency with AI-driven insights to eliminate manual work and accelerate investigation and response times. Read the blog announcement here.

NIOS DNS DHCP IPAM

Active Directory integrated with DNS Infoblox

5125     0

We have Active Directory Domain Controller Integrated with DNS Infoblox, the problem that when we decommission domain controller, the old SRV records remain in the Zone and we have to remove it manually . My Questions :

Is this normal behaver for Integrated DNS zone with Active directory & Infoblox as this not the case with Windows DNS?

How we can automatically remove the SRV records for decommission domain controller?

thanks

Re: Active Directory integrated with DNS Infoblox

Superuser
5126     0

Hi,

you could search about enabling DNS Scavenging on Infoblox admin guide. 

DNS Scavenging is a feature that allows the cleanup and removal of stale resource records, which can accumulate in DNS zones over time with both dynamic and static DNS.

Thanks

Expert
5126     0

Are you demoting the domain controller properly (eg. by using dcpromo)? If so then it should remove the associated DNS records automatically.

If you are simply powering it off without demoting it, the DNS records will remain and will need to be cleaned up manually.

Paul Roberts
PCN (UK) Ltd

All opinions expressed are my own and not representative of PCN Inc./PCN (UK) Ltd. E&OE

5126     0

Thanks Paulr,

Of course we demote the Domain controller properly,  but the case that I am not responsible for the Infoblox DNS, and my customer complaining that there is some residual DNS record left after proper removal, which is not the same case as with Windows DNS server.

Expert
5126     0

In that case I think you should ask them to provide the list of records that they believe aren't being removed, we might find that they belong to another application that is unrelated to dcpromo. Do you have the list?

Paul Roberts
PCN (UK) Ltd

All opinions expressed are my own and not representative of PCN Inc./PCN (UK) Ltd. E&OE
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommended for You