Introducing SOC Insights for BloxOne Threat Defense: Boost your SOC efficiency with AI-driven insights to eliminate manual work and accelerate investigation and response times. Read the blog announcement here.

NIOS DNS DHCP IPAM

CNAME + Delegated Zone Record - Same Name

Not applicable
4462     0

Hello all,

I hope all is doing well.

I'm planning a change, it cannot be tested, so I would like to ask the question here.

I was wondering if a CNAME and a Delegated Zone Record can exist on Infoblox, if the name is the same BUT, the CNAME record is in a disabled state.

Further details below:

I would like to create a Forward-Mapping Delegated Zone record for a pre-existing name.  Before I do so, I would like to disable the currently existing CNAME record.  The only reason for this is for backout purposes.  If the new delegated zone record becomes problematic, I would like to simply delete it and just enable the CNAME record again.

Can anyone confirm if this is possible or will the Infoblox error out when attempting to create the new Forward Mapping Delegated Zone record?

Thank you

Re: CNAME + Delegated Zone Record - Same Name

Superuser
4462     0

Hi There,

You can't create a same delegation zone name while you have the same cname record even it's disabled.

for example you have: www.abc.com IN CNAME www.foo.abc.com, then you are not allowed to add delegation zone with name www.abc.com.

thanks

i!,Re: CNAME + Delegated Zone Record - Same Name

Not applicable
4462     0

Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply.

My example is maybe a tad difference:

For eg, CNAME record Alias is www.abc.com and the Canonical Name for the record is www.foo.abc.com.  Forward Mapping Delegation Zone record will be made for www.abc.com.  The actual Canonical Name will remain on Infoblox (www.foo.abc.com). 

So, the Delegation Record Name is the same as the CNAME's Alias Name.

The change is practically modifying the DNS record of www.abc.com and delegating to different appliance.  The original Canonincal Name on Infoblox is untouched throughout this change.

Thanks!

Re: i!,Re: CNAME + Delegated Zone Record - Same Name

Superuser
4462     0
Hi, So you have somehing like this: www.abc.com IN CNAME www.foo.abc.com, Now you want to create a delegated zone named www.foo.abc.com (this will be delegated to another nameservers). with these conditions there should be no problem, because that's how zone delegation works. Thanks

Not applicable
4463     0

Hi there,

Yes, exactly.  So once the delegation record is created, technically the CNAME record can be deleted because it will useless at that point bc of the delegation record.  My main concern and question was around keeping the CNAME record on the Infoblox but in a disabled state, while I create a delegation record for the same name.  So for the change, first a new delegation record will be created.  Then, I would like to disable the CNAME record and test to ensure the delegation record is working as it should. Once confirmed, I will delete the CNAME record.

I was once told you cannot have two different records on the box with the same name, even if one of them is in a disabled state.  I was just trying to confirm whether this is accurate or not.

Superuser
4463     0

i already told you in previous replies, we cannot have different record with same name before.

let say you have record,

www.abc.com then you create a new delegation zone with the same (www.abc.com) then it's not allowed even the first record is disabled. You'll need to remove the previous record before you add the new one.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommended for You