Introducing SOC Insights for BloxOne Threat Defense: Boost your SOC efficiency with AI-driven insights to eliminate manual work and accelerate investigation and response times. Read the blog announcement here.

NIOS DNS DHCP IPAM

Configuring dhcp failover on grid master and ha pair

Superuser
8983     0

Hello,

Now im deploying a DHCP server with 3 virtual appliances, 

1. Node 1, as grid master and will run dhcp service inside

2. Node 2 & 3, as grid member with HA pair configured.

I already configure the network and the range, but after assigning the range to be serve by the failover association, the failover status is failed. the node status are recover on both server.

Please advice whether ha pair cannot server dhcp failover?

Regards.

Re: Configuring dhcp failover on grid master and ha pair

Adviser
8983     0

A DHCP failover association will not work until it has been assigned to a DHCP range. Once it has been assigned to at least one DHCP range and services successfully restarted on both servers (HA or not), the status should go to green (normal) once the service restart finishes.

Regards,

Tony

Superuser
8983     0

Hi,

Yes i already applied it into the range, i also configure member assignment for both server at the network level. But after restarting the service, the dhcp failover status still failed. 

To make sure i try the dhcp service in each server and it works well, but when i use the dhcp failover it fail.

Please your advice

Regards

Adviser
8984     0

The next most likely possibility possibilities are that the DHCP services have not actually started on both nodes, or that the two nodes are unable to talk to each other. You will need to review your system logs on both nodes to check for any errors and see exactly what's going on.

If you require assistance with reviewing your system logs, Infoblox Support is a great resource and will help you get this up and running without delay.

Regards,

Tony

Adviser
8984     0

For DHCP failover, you do not configure the grid members as an HA pair!!  The members should both be added to the grid individually, and DHCP failover will handle the service change if one of the members fails!

It's best for the grid master to be HA, and have at least one grid master candidate.  The GMC can be any grid member with the capacity to hold the entire grid configuration.

Sounds like you could configure 3 grid members:

1st as the Grid Master.  GM usually does not run services.

2nd as the first DHCP member.  This member can also be grid master candidate.  Could run DNS, NTP, and other services based on capacity and requirements.

3rd as the second DHCP member.  Could be GMC and run services like the above member.

Once you have the 3 members, then create the DHCP failover group, assigning the 2 DHCP members.

Another configuration for a smaller business could be as follows:

1st as the Grid Master.  Enable the DHCP service on the GM.

2nd grid member as an HA pair.  Enable DHCP service, and enable as a grid master candidate.

When configuring the DHCP FO group, I would probably set the group to sent (all?) of the leases from the DHCP member and let the GM focus on managing the grid rather than providing services.

IMHO, using HA is not needed for DHCP FO group unless you are in a data center environment with very high availability requirements.  I'd build the first configuration I listed.

Either way, once you have the FO group configured, you enable (start) the DHCP services on both members, add networks (configuring the DHCP members on the network), and add a DHCP range to the network.  Restart services to activate the configuration (via Restart banner message).

Hope this helps!??!

Adviser
8984     0

Just to add- NIOS does not allow the same HA pair to be assigned twice to a DHCP Failover Association. Whether or not HA is used does not factor into DHCP Failover (you can mix two nodes with one being an HA pair and the other being a standalone appliance).

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommended for You