Introducing SOC Insights for BloxOne Threat Defense: Boost your SOC efficiency with AI-driven insights to eliminate manual work and accelerate investigation and response times. Read the blog announcement here.

API & Integration, DevOps,NetOps,SecOps

Need Help:Creating Extensible attribute using API

Authority
8935     0

Hi Team,

I want to know is it possible to create new extensible attribute using WAPI?? If yes, please let me know the way. 

I didnt find any in the Infoblox API documentation.

Re: Need Help:Creating Extensible attribute using API

8935     0

There are a few examples in the archives, here are a few more.

This lists the set of EAs defined on the grid:

curl -k1 -u admin:infoblox -X GET 'https://192.168.1.2/wapi/v2.8/extensibleattributedef?_return_fields=name,type,list_values'

This creates a new EA "City".  of type STRING:

curl -k1 -u admin:infoblox -X POST 'https://10.9.16.6/wapi/v2.8/extensibleattributedef' -H "Content-Type: application/json" -d \
'{
  "name":"City",
  "type":"STRING"
}'

This creates a new EA "State". of type ENUM (enumerated list), with the value of every U.S. state:

curl -k1 -u admin:infoblox -X POST 'https://192.168.1.2/wapi/v2.8/extensibleattributedef' -H "Content-Type: application/json" -d \
'{
  "name":"State",
  "type":"ENUM",
  "list_values":[
    {"value":"AL"},
    {"value":"AK"},
    {"value":"AZ"},
    {"value":"AR"},
    {"value":"CA"},
    {"value":"CO"},
    {"value":"CT"},
    {"value":"DE"},
    {"value":"DC"},
    {"value":"FL"},
    {"value":"GA"},
    {"value":"HI"},
    {"value":"ID"},
    {"value":"IL"},
    {"value":"IN"},
    {"value":"IA"},
    {"value":"KS"},
    {"value":"KY"},
    {"value":"LA"},
    {"value":"ME"},
    {"value":"MD"},
    {"value":"MA"},
    {"value":"MI"},
    {"value":"MN"},
    {"value":"MS"},
    {"value":"MO"},
    {"value":"MT"},
    {"value":"NE"},
    {"value":"NV"},
    {"value":"NH"},
    {"value":"NJ"},
    {"value":"NM"},
    {"value":"NY"},
    {"value":"NC"},
    {"value":"ND"},
    {"value":"OH"},
    {"value":"OK"},
    {"value":"OR"},
    {"value":"PA"},
    {"value":"RI"},
    {"value":"SC"},
    {"value":"SD"},
    {"value":"TN"},
    {"value":"TX"},
    {"value":"UT"},
    {"value":"VT"},
    {"value":"VA"},
    {"value":"WA"},
    {"value":"WV"},
    {"value":"WI"},
    {"value":"WY"}
  ]
}'

Authority
8935     0

Thanks Richard.

I was successful in creating a new extensible attribute with the below API request

curl -k -u admin:infoblox -H 'content-type: application/json' -X POST "https://172.40.165.192/wapi/v2.4/extensibleattributedef?_return_fields%2B=name,type&_return_as_objec..." -d '{"name": "Comments","type": "STRING"}'

but the problem is that the above API request creates extensible attribute "comments" for every network view that i have.

When I try to put reference for desired network ( in my case testing network view, see bwlow), it throws error

"_ref": "network/ZG5zLm5ldHdvcmskMTAuMTAuMC4wLzI0LzI:10.10.0.0/24/Testing",
"network": "10.10.0.0/24",
"network_view": "Testing"

API request: 

curl -k -u admin:infoblox -H 'content-type: application/json' -X POST "https://172.40.165.192/wapi/v2.4/network/ZG5zLm5ldHdvcmskMTAuMTAuMC4wLzI0LzI:10.10.0.0/24/Testing/ex..." -d '{"name": "Comments","type": "STRING"}'

Error:

{ "Error": "AdmConProtoError: Unknown argument/field: 'name'",
"code": "Client.Ibap.Proto",
"text": "Unknown argument/field: 'name'"
}

I just want to create the extensible attribute for one network view. can you help me in correcting my API request??

8935     0

When you create a new Extensible Attribute it is available for all objects.  (networks, zones, network views, etc.)

Did you want to add or change the extensible attribute value for the network view?

Also, there are regular attributes, "name" and "comment" for network views, you don't need extensible attributes for those.

Adviser
8935     0

Hi,

My understanding that you are trying to assign a value to the Extensible Attribute for your network.

You can do so using the following API

curl -k -u admin:Infoblox -H 'content-type: application/json' -X PUT "https://172.40.165.192/wapi/v2.4/network/ZG5zLm5ldHdvcmskMTAuMTAuMC4wLzI0LzI:10.10.0.0/24/Testing?_return_fields%2B=extattrs&_return_as_object=1" -d '{"extattrs":{"Comments": {"value": "Test"}}}'

Hope this helps,

Krishna

Authority
8935     0

Thanks Richard and Kvasudevan,

What I understood is that if i create a new extensible attribute, it will be created for all the network view. I cant create for one single network view.

The problem that I am facing is how to use the netwok view when i want to add a record to only one network view.

For example: In the below request, I want to add a record with hostname ="ABC" and ip=10.10.0..1 in network view=default.Testing

API request:

curl -k -u admin:infoblox -H 'content-type: application/json' -X POST "https://172.20.165.192/wapi/v2.4/record:host?_return_fields%2B=name,network_view&_return_as_object=1" -d '{"name":"ABC","ipv4addrs": [{"ipv4addr":"10.10.0.1","configure_for_dhcp":false}],"view":"default.Testing"}'

Error: 

but i get the error: "code": "Client.Ibap.Proto",
"text": "Unknown argument/field: 'configue_for_dhcp'"
}

Can you help me in fixing this error?

Adviser
8935     0

Hi,

From the error message, it looks like you have made a typo: configue_for_dhcp. It should be configure_for_dhcp.

Regards,

Krishna Vasudevan

8936     0

Is there a way to add more values to the existing extensible attribute using wapi?

8936     0

Yes.  You need to read the existing values into an array, add in the new value or values, and then write back the whole array.

Adviser
8936     0

Hi,

If you need to add additonal extensible attributes to an object using WAPI, you can do so by using extattrs+ option available like below:

Sample code (Assuming you already have an EA set called Building=HQ):
curl -k -u admin:infoblox -H 'content-type: application/json' -X PUT "https://grid-master/wapi/v2.11/record:host/ZG5zLmhvc3QkLl9kZWZhdWx0LmNvbS5pbmZvLndhcGk:wapi.info.com/default?_return_fields%2B=extattrs&_return_as_object=1" -d '{"extattrs+":{"Site": {"value": "East"}}}'

Sample Output:
{"result": 
  {"_ref": "record:host/ZG5zLmhvc3QkLl9kZWZhdWx0LmNvbS5pbmZvLndhcGk:wapi.info.com/default",
   "extattrs": 
    {"Site": {"value": "East"},
     "Building": {"value": "HQ"}
    },
   "ipv4addrs": 
    [{"_ref": "record:host_ipv4addr/ZG5zLmhvc3RfYWRkcmVzcyQuX2RlZmF1bHQuY29tLmluZm8ud2FwaS4xMC4wLjAuMy4:10.0.0.3/wapi.info.com/default",
     "configure_for_dhcp": false,
     "host": "wapi.info.com",
     "ipv4addr": "10.0.0.3"
  }],
  "name": "wapi.info.com",
  "view": "default"
}}

However, if you need to add additional values to an existing EA, then you would need to do what MRichard suggests: read and save the existing values in an array, add the new value and insert it back using WAPI.

8936     0

Hi,

Need to assistant!

Now when I have an Extra attribute value created, how do I attach this to network object?

And also if I want to modiy inhetitance state to 'inhereted' on same API request.

Thanks in advance

Patric 

Techie
8936     0

Do you have an example of how to over-wright an existing Extensible Attribute array?

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommended for You